When planning a fishing trip to Christmas Island (Kiribati) and deciding on the top bonefish flies, there are several commonly recommended options to choose from. Here are the top choices:
- Gotcha: This is a highly effective fly and a must-have for trips to saltwater destinations when targeting bonefish.
- Crazy Charlie: Another standard choice for bonefish fishing on Christmas Island, this fly has proven to be effective.
- Bonefish Scampi Beadchain: An excellent choice for bonefish, particularly in shallow flats.
- Longstrip Bonefish Fly: Designed to imitate the shrimp that bonefish feed on, this fly is very effective for larger bonefish.
- Clouser Foxxee Red Bonefish Minnow: This versatile fly can be used to target various species, including bonefish.
- Sili Legs: Designed by Barry and Cathy Beck, this fly is known for its effectiveness in various destinations and conditions.
- Ververka Mantis Shrimp: This fly is great for bonefish and also works well for other saltwater species.
- Borski Bonefish Slider: Ideal for fly fishing on the flats, this fly can also be used in freshwater.
- Hot Butt Pseudo Shrimp: Developed for saltwater flats, this fly is effective in attracting bonefish.
- Puff Pastry: This small shrimp imitation fly is effective for bonefish and even carp fly fishing.
- Additionally, there are some innovative flies specifically recommended for Christmas Island:
- Flack’s Cocaine Crustacean: With longer legs and a smaller bead head, this fly is appealing to bonefish.
- Drew Chicone’s Tranqi-Hill-Izer Pattern: This fly is designed for visibility at great distances, making it ideal for feeding bonefish.
- The Strip Tease: This unique twist on a classic spawning shrimp pattern imitates the glowing organs of shrimp in the flats.
It's important to note that the guides on Christmas Island prefer sparser-tied flies to ones with a lot of material. A general recommendation is to have a variety of flies to cover different situations and preferences of the local fish.
Wild on the Fly Adventure Travel
Bob Marriott's Flyfishing Store
www.bobmarriotts.com / www.wildonthefly.com